Our first Shanghai Black Fashion Week designer is Sheila Boaduwaa Yeboah of Naya Fashion, a colorful line that showcases african print in all of its pieces.
1.What's your name and where are you from?
I am Sheila Boaduwaa Yeboah from Ghana, and I'm a medical student at Hebei North University China.
2. What is the name of your Fashion Design and or Company?
Naya Fashion is the name of my fashion house. Naya was adopted from my local name "Nana Yaa".
3. What type of fashion does your brand specialize in?
We specialize in clothes, slippers, and african printed accessories. We mostly base our designs on africanism while incorporating a little bit of Asian and western influence.
4. Did or do you study fashion or business?
I have never been to any fashion or business schools.
5. How did your journey begin?
I began at the age of 15. I ordered a dress and I didn't like the outcome so I tried to redo it and made it; I call it talent because nobody taught me how to sew.
7. How long have you been doing business in China?
2 years now
8. Which Chinese city do you live in?
Zhangjiakuo city, hebei province
9.How and why did you start it in China?
I made fashion designs apart of me in china because I love to sew and now my fashion designs are a hobby turned profession. In my spare time I do a lot with my magical hands; I make anything fashionable including hair.
10. What is it like doing business in China?
It not easy but yet still reliable
11. Do you speak Chinese?
12. How does speaking Chinese affect you doing business in China?
It does not affect me
13. How does being a foreigner affect you doing business in China?
Almost all of the Chinese people do not purchase my products; they prefer their own home made stuffs.
14. How was your experience showcasing at SBFW?
It was my best experience. Almost everyone at the show that day loved my designs; especially the models.
15. Are you afraid that your products and or designs may be counterfeited and or knocked-off in China?
Not at all because my designs are unique.
16. How do you control and maintain the quality of your products during the manufacturing process?
When ever making a new design or product I try it on myself first for some months and also make sure I go in for the best raw materials
17. What's special or different about your designs?
I base my designs on africanism +Asian +Western [influence] which makes it uncommon.
18. Where can the public find your designs?
On Facebook as Naya Fashion, Instagram as Nayafashion1, and Wechat as Nayasby.
21 Any other comments?
Naya fashion wear your imagination
SBFW showcases diverse and local underground talent throughout China in Shanghai. SBFW S/S 2018 is tba but stay connected with us for exclusive information. Stay tuned for our next SBFW designer interview.